• Attend orientation and training session for volunteers.
• Introduce the newcomer to the city of Saint John and some of the resources it has to offer through guided tours or visits throughout the city.
• Offer support and guidance in learning to shop for groceries and other common needs.
• Offer the newcomer an opportunity to regularly practice his or her English in an informal setting.
• Take time to learn and understand the culture and values of the newcomer while simultaneously teaching an appreciation for Canadian traditions and values.
• Introduce the newcomer to social and recreational activities.
• Some activities include but are not limited to: share meals, go for walks or to the park, attend free events around the city, explore the history that Saint John has to offer.
• There is no fiscal responsibility that comes with this role.
• Encourage Newcomers to be independent whenever possible and allow them to learn and grow from the choices they make.